Wednesday, September 12, 2007

And the roller coaster begins.....

So here it is the first picture of my baby, it only took 20 minutes to get it. I say that sarcastically. So here's the scoop: I got a new doctor and come to find out he's only been here 3 weeks. That would be fine and dandy if he knew a little more about how to use the equipment and things in his office. So I go in to his office, nervous as can be, and start having to go through my pregnancy history. He writes it all down. I tell him about my endometriosis and that I have Antiphospholipid Antibody syndrome. He goes on to say we will be doing an exam and ultrasound but he wants to look at my labs before we do all that. So he sends me to another room to get ready for it. I wait and wait for like 15 minutes, no lie, while I can hear a horrible noise in the other room that was making me cringe. It sounded like when they do your pap smear and put it in the jar and spin it around. Ladies you know what I am talking about. So anyway when he finally comes in he tells me to lay back. While he's fondling my breast he's like yeah the tissue feels good, so I say well it hurts to be honest. "Oh that's a good thing!" he says. So on the the pap, which I hate! They always hurt and are uncomfortable. So we get that done, which in my opinion lasted too long also. Then on the the ultrasound. I forewarned him that it is hard to get to my uterus, cause it's down turned, and he's like it won't be so bad. Yeah that's what every darn doctor says to me until they get in there. So he starts looking and looking. Finally after about 4 minutes of pain he finds it, but can't seem to keep it. "You were right about it being hard to get, my arm is starting to hurt" he says. My reply, "Sorry I told you it was hard and you think you hurt? I promise I'm in more pain than you." So he keeps apologizing. Don't get me wrong he's very nice and tries to be funny. However, here comes the kicker. While looking for the baby he finds it and says I think it has a heartbeat. So being that I didn't hear anything I was like well why can't I hear it. He tells me you can't hear it until 12 weeks. Well, I know for a fact that you can hear it long before that. I h eard Conner's at 6 weeks.He then tells me maybe if he were using a more high tech ultrasound we could hear it. But yet again I feel he was wrong because last time they used the same ultrasound machine on me and they could zoom it in to where you could see the blood flow and all that. Seriously he didn't know how to do that. So the whole time I could have heard my baby's heartbeat but he was just so clueless with the machine it didn't happen. He and I both could see the heartbeat because you could see it throbbing but no sound. So I was a bit disappointed. And yes it took 20 minutes for the total ultrasound because he kept pushing the wrong buttons. So I am due to go back next Friday to see if we can get a better view of the heart so he says. Maybe in that 15 minutes that I will be waiting I will figure out the machine myself and tell him what to push. SERIOUSLY!!! Oh and my other concern with him is that he may not want to put me on Heparin shots. He says since I am only borderline he wants to get another blood test done to see what it says before we put me on a drug that will harm me. I guess it causes bone loss and major bruising, due to low platelets. I told him I just want to keep this baby healthy. I can take extra calcium and so what if I look like I am being abused? I will be carrying a healthy baby that's going to make it. I feel happy but frustrated at the same time. So as I said I am on a roller coaster, but hopefully it will have an exciting ending.

2 comments:

Sandi McBride said...

My God, sometimes I could just slap doctors (cept for my Dad, he is a great doctor and GP) (just incase a miracle has happened and he learned how to use a computer). I remember when I was having a biopsy done (endometriosis) and he made the cut with the punch and having had nothing for pain or anxiety (I suggest liquor, really hard to the bone liquor) when he did, I yelled out. This assh**e says, keep it down girly that didn't hurt and I stood up in the stirrups and said, "listen ass**l* give me that hole punch and put your peepee up here and let's just see..." Girly indeed. I used to warn all my friend about this jerk...if you aren't happy with your jerk, tell someone NOW! Talk to the head nurse or send your concerns to your Doctor in the States...Hopefully the ink on his Diploma is dry. Did you check? Next time you go in, check his diiploma while he's in the room, rub your finger over it and tell him, just checking the ink is dry, my Aunt Sandi told me I should...she's suspicous that way

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

How funny that Aunt Sandi thinks you actually get to SEE their diplomas. ha,ha,ha,ha You'd think she'd know better, having been a Naval dependant for years and years and years.
Anywho, so relieved about the heartbeat and can't wait to hear the next progress report. I'm afraid to breathe until we hear everything's fine and dandy. Whew. It's going to be a long 9 months! And I'm looking foward to the payoff! lol