Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Memories....

that was what I was thankful for yesterday on my son's second birthday. For without memories I wouldn't have much of him but some pictures, his footprints, and a lock of his hair. I remember his little kicks every night at midnight, his hiccups every morning at 10am, and the tickle of his little fingers. I remember it all and for that, I am thankful. Here's a poem I had written for him soon after he left this world:


April 19th(when I found out I was pregnant) what a joyous night;

you filled us with a glamorous light.

As our love continued to grow;

the kicks at midnight we came to know.

Hearing your heartbeat and then the bad news;

we swore no one would ever fill your shoes.

We said many prayers and kept our hopes high;

and started to believe it was all just a lie.

Over the months my belly began to swell;

we wondered boy or girl only time will tell.

At 34 weeks to the hospital we went;

waiting for you many hours we spent.

We felt so many emotions that day;

oh why, oh why couldn't our baby stay?

As we waited anxiously to hear you cry;

we realized we would have to say, "goodbye."

You were a little boy with an angel face;

with which we had a short embrace.

Your chubby cheeks, pouty lips, and head full of hair;

all we could do was hold you and stare.

Though the time was short that we spent together;

in our hearts you will linger forever.

Your mommy and daddy will always hold you dear;

little Conner, our superboy, we wish you were here.


I will always be thankful for the memories of him. They will live in my mind forever. I had written in my last post that one of the most beautiful sights I had ever seen was my husband holding our son. I wanted to share that picture with you:


2 comments:

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

I love this picture. I truly do. This is the one that brings to mind the saying
"Some people dream of angels...
I've held one in my arms"

And here I go crying again.

Sandi McBride said...

Beautiful picture of Nick and Conner. Tears. They're supposed to be cleansing, I suppose it's so. Love ya sweetie
Aunt Sandi