Monday, August 18, 2008

Answered prayer

As you all know I had a son that I lost at birth. So after having him I prayed and prayed for a healthy baby. I didn't care if it was a girl or a boy, even though I secretly wanted a girl so I could differentiate between the new baby and my son. Hard to explain, maybe some other time. But anyway, I am happy to announce that Kara is just about the healthiest baby out there. She had her 4 month well baby check up today. I can't believe that much time has flown by.... but anyway. She was a whopping 15 pounds and 10 ounces. Yowza!! I weighted her two weeks ago and she was only 14 pounds (not sure about how many ounces). She is now 25 1/2 inches long. What happened to my little baby? She is in the 90% of babies her age. That means she's way bigger than most babies her age. So instead of getting upset that she's so large, I take it as a blessing. God gave me what I have been praying for these last couple of years: a healthy baby. I have been so blessed with her. At three weeks early, she didn't have any problems aside from Jaundice. She is just thriving in this world and I couldn't be happier about that. The doctor said she's doing great in every aspect, except that she doesn't roll over yet. The problem is that she HATES tummy time. I put her on her stomach and 5 minutes later she is screaming her head off. He did some exercises with her and discovered she uses her back rather than her arms to lift her body up while in tummy position. So I am going to have to force the tummy time each day. I didn't even attempt today since she had two shots in her leg, but tomorrow we are going to get on it. He did say that he has noticed that a lot of babies aren't rolling over before 6 months of age here lately. I read somewhere that it's because they are now supposed to sleep on their backs rather than her stomachs like before. Who knows, but I just hope she starts building those muscles soon.

I discussed her eating habits with him and he wants me to start her on baby food at dinner time. Cereal in the morning and a vegetable at night. WHAT? I was planning on waiting another month for that. He said for her it's the right choice. He wants me to start vegetables rather than fruit so she won't only want sweet foods. I was going to buy the banana flavored cereal, which was why I mixed bananas in her cereal this week, but he said just to start the baby food. He also said she can have juice now. I for some reason thought that was after they were 6 months. My baby is growing so fast. Nick is going to hate it. He feels like he's missing so much with being gone. She's just moving right along and I can't seem to slow her down. I must remind myself, she's healthy, that's all that matters.

As I mentioned before she got two shots today along with an oral medication. She did pretty good until the first shot was done and then she started crying and turning red. I felt so bad. After I calmed her down and put her in her stroller she looked at me like, "why did you let them do that to me?" It was so pitiful I almost cried. She just looked so upset. She was grumpy for the remainder of the day. Who could blame her? I am hoping she will feel better for tomorrow's pictures. Which brings me to a funny story, well not really. Remember my post about the pictures we got taken? How Kara was so mad and all. Well, I got a call two days later from the portrait studio saying they accidentally erased her pictures. I was very nice about it and told them maybe it was a good thing since she was so grumpy that day. However now that I have thought about it, I may be in for a bad time. Being that Kara just got her shots today, I am going to assume she will still be in pain tomorrow. I can only pray that she's happy and we get some good pictures. A girl I was talking to the other day said I should demand a discount. I am not really one for confrontation so we will see how it goes. I do feel a little frustrated that it will be my third trip there. It's not particularly easy to get a 4 month old baby ready for pictures during her normal nap time once let alone three times. The first time wasn't really their fault, you can't really work with paint fumes everywhere. The second time however was their fault. I laughed about it when I got off the phone with them thinking now that's just my luck. I am hoping it's some kind of blessing in disguise. After all I was kind of mad I forgot to put her bracelet and necklace on her last time. I will update you all tomorrow. Have a good day!!

1 comment:

Sandi McBride said...

I always hated shot time...and it seemed like it was everytime we went to the peds...Kara is such a pretty baby...you've done a great job!
hugs
Aunt Sandi