Wednesday, December 12, 2007

How quickly it comes and goes!

I can't believe that Christmas is in less than 2 weeks. It doesn't even seem like it to me. I think it has a lot to do with the weather. The day before yesterday was just plain ridiculous here. It was almost like summer weather. I so can't wait to be back in the states where it actually stays cool outside in the winter months. I know I complain about this a lot but dang. I have only one more Christmas to suffer through here, thank God. If only it was in arms reach of happening. Don't get me wrong I don't want to wish my life away. I know I have so much to look forward to in the time we have left on this island with the baby on the way and visitors we will be having. (My mom and step-dad will be here on Jan. 16th for two weeks). BUT sometimes it just seems so far away until we will be back in the US. I try not to get down about it. I think lately it has started to make me sad knowing that my daughter won't really know her family until she's about 2 years old. I know so many families do this, but is still stinks. I just want her to grow up knowing her grandparents, aunts, and uncles like I did. Family is so undervalued these days it seems. So before I go onto another tangent, the point I was trying to make is that it doesn't feel like Christmas here. Sure there's a nip in the air every once in a while and some people have lights up. But it's just hard to make things as festive here as they are in the states. I know I can't be the only person that feels this way about this place. For instance, this year they ran out of Christmas trees at the BX. Sadly it wasn't just last week, it was back in November, therefore several families on island will be celebrating without a tree. Yes, I know that the tree doesn't make the holiday or has anything to do with the meaning of Christmas but it's tradition. So many people are used to this, it's like putting on your shoes before going outside, not everyone does it but most people do. It makes me sad for those families. So to try to make myself feel better I am going to start some holiday baking tonight and hopefully get myself into the spirit. Nick's work is having their Children's Christmas party on Saturday so that should be fun. Then on Sunday I am holding a 12x12 Christmas scrapbook page workshop. I am hoping to have at least 3 people in attendance. Small and quaint. I will let you know how it goes. I hope that you are all in the spirit of Christmas, like I said it's gone before you know it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im not sure what the temp is there,but it has been 80% in Mississippi.kari finally got enough cool to wear her sweater,but I am in mostly capris.
I have been sick with something like the flu.My grandson just had it. I lay here and think of all the baking i need to be doing also.
When is that baby girl due? I just found out my April is having one in Aug. she has a daughter 4 years old so they hope for a boy,but we will be happy with what God gives us.
Keep your spirits up. My son is in the AF and just got back from Qatar. I will miss him this Christmas too.

Sandi McBride said...

Honey, its been hot here, too...in the 80's all week...can't take it! But hopefully a chill will be in the air soon...if so, I'll mail you some!

Sandi McBride said...

Okay now, it's been a week since we've heard a peep out of you, I know it's the "busy Time" but tell me how things are going, what you guys are up to...you know, what's the poop kid? Received your card...it was lovely and the pictures are great! I can't wait til next years picture when we get to see Kara's Christmas Pic after she breaks jail!
Love ya
Aunt Sandi

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.