Thursday, July 10, 2008

Job offer???

So I go to the bank today to make a deposit and get a teller that was really nice. She first commented on how much Kara looks like me, which of course makes me smile. Who wouldn't want to be told their beautiful baby looks like them? We got to talking and she was surprised that I signed my check correctly (they were written to Jodie rather than my real name). I told her I was a teller for 3 1/2 years at a credit union. She got all excited asking me if I was interested in a job? I told her I wasn't because I would rather stay home with my baby. She was like well if you change your mind we have some openings and have a big turn around here. They would hire you on the spot! So I got to thinking about how much I really enjoyed being a teller (not enough to not stay with my baby, but overall I liked it a lot). Remember my previous post saying I wanted to be a teacher? Well, I think I do, but I am not so sure anymore. I think dealing with the kids would be fun, but I am not so sure how well I would deal with the parents. You know people get crazy over their kids, which I understand being a parent myself, but sometimes I think it might be really hard to do. So anyway, I was thinking about how much I liked being a teller. I had really great hours, holidays, nights, and weekends off, and I like dealing with money. I like counting money, rolling coin, and dealing with computers (for banking anyway). However, I feel so guilty that I am not using my degree. I mean it's pretty bad when you make more money as a teller than you would using your actual degree. That was the problem I kept running into years ago. It was like any job I found either paid crappy or you had to have experience to get hired. I have never understood that. How do you get experience with it if no one will hire you without experience?? It boggles my mind. So anyway, I feel bad for not using my degree, but I realize that it wasn't the best degree to get. At the time it sounded so wonderful. Health Education-you can use it in so many jobs(so I was told)!!! Notsomuch people! I wanted to work at the American Cancer Society (where I did my internship) but they only have 6 people (in each office) who actually get paid to work there, everyone else is a volunteer. Which is nice but you gotta get paid to be able to afford life, you know. I told myself my last year of college that I had messed up. I should have just got a business degree, they are so universal. I could have used that at so many jobs. Don't get me wrong, I loved the classes associated with my degree. If I could have a job with the Cancer Society that would be awesome, but they are hard to get. Therefore making my job possibilities limited. So here I am thinking that when I do return to work, I may want to be a teller again. I know that doesn't sound too ambitious. Tellers make decent pay, not great, but decent. I feel like I should do more with myself, but overall isn't whatever make you happy what really counts? I am still debating the whole teacher thing. Luckily I have a few more years before I have to decide. Right now being a mother is my job and I think that's the best job in the world. I wouldn't even refer to it as a job, but as a privilege. I can't of anything I would rather be doing right now. Especially when I look in to those big beautiful blue eyes. Thank you Nick for supporting my decision to be a stay at home mom. I appreciate it so much. I love you baby!

No comments: